Class 8 English Book solution Nepal Unit 18 Exercise Road Accident In Nepal complete exercises is provided in this post. Here you can download pdf of chapters for offline viewing too. You don’t have to face the hassle of finding right course curriculum. For Download link Subscribe blog and fb page.
Road accidents in Nepal: Are poor roads solely to blame?
A. Complete the sentences with the correct words given below.
[perspective, witnessed, congestion, infrastructure, ordeal, coordination]
a. A car hit a boy. People witnessed the accident.
b. The earthquake destroyed the infrastructure of the building.
c. Excessive number of motorbikes and violation of traffic rules cause traffic congestion.
d. As we judge others from our perspective, we fail to understand their problems.
e. Good coordination among the staff flourishes a healthy relationship.
f. Anusha looks sad as she faced an ordeal.
B. Answer these questions.
a. According to the writer, who do we curse for road accidents?
⇒ According to the writer, we curse the government and those responsible for the poor construction of the road for road accidents.
b. Why are motorbikes popular in Nepal?
⇒ Motorbikes are popular in Nepal due to their lower cost compared to cars, as well as their ability to maneuver through traffic congestion.
c. Why should parents and educational institutions monitor youngsters?
⇒ Parents and educational institutions should monitor the youngsters to ensure their safety and maturity before granting them access to vehicles.
d. What measures should be taken to stop drink-driving?
⇒ To stop drink-driving, the drivers themselves must be conscious of their drinking habits and refrain from drinking before driving. Additionally, the law should impose strict punishments and conduct regular checks at checkpoints to deter and apprehend individuals who drink and drive.
e. What is the main cause of road accidents in your opinion?
⇒ In my opinion, the main cause of road accidents is driver negligence. This includes speeding, reckless driving, and not wearing a seatbelt.
C. What measures can be taken to maximise road safety in Nepal? Discuss.
To maximize road safety in Nepal, several measures can be implemented to address the existing challenges and improve the overall safety of the road network. Here are some key measures that can be taken:
- Strengthening Infrastructure: Improving road infrastructure is crucial for enhancing road safety. This includes constructing well-designed roads, bridges, and tunnels, and ensuring proper lane markings, signage, and traffic signals. Implementing measures to reduce potholes and improving the overall quality of roads can significantly reduce accidents.
- Enhancing Traffic Management: Effective traffic management is essential to minimize road accidents. This involves implementing intelligent transportation systems (ITS) to monitor traffic flow, installing CCTV cameras for surveillance, and adopting technologies such as traffic lights with timers to regulate traffic movement. Strict enforcement of traffic rules and regulations is also vital to deter reckless driving.
- Public Awareness and Education: Conducting comprehensive road safety awareness campaigns targeting all road users, including drivers, pedestrians, and cyclists, is crucial. These campaigns should emphasize the importance of adhering to traffic rules, wearing seat belts, and using helmets. Promoting safe driving practices and educating the public about the risks and consequences of dangerous driving behaviors can lead to a more safety-conscious society.
- Driver Training and Licensing: Implementing stringent driver training and licensing procedures can help ensure that only competent drivers are allowed on the roads. This includes standardized driver education programs, practical driving tests, and regular license renewals. Emphasizing the importance of defensive driving techniques and educating drivers about the dangers of speeding, drunk driving, and distracted driving is also essential.
- Vehicle Safety Standards: Implementing and enforcing stringent vehicle safety standards can significantly contribute to road safety. Regular vehicle inspections to ensure roadworthiness, mandatory installation of seat belts, airbags, and other safety features, and strict regulations on vehicle overloading can reduce the risk of accidents and minimize their impact.
- Strengthening Law Enforcement: Enhancing law enforcement efforts to enforce traffic rules and regulations is crucial. This includes increasing the presence of traffic police on the roads, conducting regular patrols, and implementing strict penalties for traffic violations. Utilizing technology, such as automated speed cameras and electronic ticketing systems, can assist in effective enforcement.
- Enhancing Emergency Response Systems: Improving emergency response systems, including establishing well-equipped and well-staffed ambulance services and rescue teams, can significantly reduce the fatality rate in road accidents. Quick access to medical assistance can save lives and minimize the severity of injuries.
- Encouraging Public Transportation: Promoting the use of safe and reliable public transportation systems can help reduce the number of private vehicles on the road, thereby minimizing congestion and the risk of accidents. Ensuring that public transport vehicles adhere to safety standards and regulations is essential.
- Encouraging Non-Motorized Transportation: Promoting walking and cycling as modes of transportation can have multiple benefits. Designing and maintaining pedestrian-friendly infrastructure, such as sidewalks and crosswalks, and implementing cycling lanes can enhance the safety of vulnerable road users.
- Data Collection and Analysis: Establishing a robust system for collecting, analyzing, and disseminating road safety data is crucial for evidence-based policymaking. Accurate data on road accidents, causes, and patterns can help identify high-risk areas, understand the root causes of accidents, and design targeted interventions.
Implementing these measures requires a multi-sectoral approach involving government agencies, law enforcement authorities, transportation departments, civil society organizations, and the public at large. Continuous evaluation, monitoring, and adaptation of road safety initiatives are essential to ensure their effectiveness in reducing road accidents and promoting safer road environments in Nepal.
Grammar I – [Subject Verb Agreement]
A. Choose the correct words from the brackets to complete the sentences.
My uncle and aunt come to my house every Friday.
There is not enough time to watch the movie.
My friends who are in the band want me to play a musical instrument.
Everyone needs time to relax.
Your trousers look new.
Some of the books on the shelf are missing.
One of my friends was living in that house.
One hundred rupees is not enough for me.
Five kilometres is not a long distance to travel.
You or he are responsible for that job.
Linguistics is her favourite subject.
Do you think extracurricular activities are important for students? Write an essay giving your opinions. Divide the essay into the following parts.
Title: The Importance of Extracurricular Activities for Students
Extracurricular activities play a vital role in the holistic development of students. These activities, which take place outside of the regular academic curriculum, provide students with valuable opportunities to explore their interests, develop new skills, foster teamwork, and enhance their overall personal and social growth. This essay will delve into the various aspects that make extracurricular activities important for students, highlighting their benefits in terms of physical health, mental well-being, academic performance, and future success.
Part 1: Physical Health and Well-being
Engaging in extracurricular activities promotes physical health and well-being among students. Sports, for instance, encourage regular exercise, enhance cardiovascular health, build endurance, and instill discipline. Participating in outdoor activities, such as hiking or gardening clubs, fosters an active lifestyle and a connection with nature, which can contribute to better overall physical and mental health. By prioritizing extracurricular activities, students can develop habits that support a balanced and healthy lifestyle.
Part 2: Personal and Social Development
Extracurricular activities provide a platform for personal and social development. Students have the opportunity to explore their interests, talents, and passions beyond the confines of the classroom. Whether it’s joining a debate team, a music band, or a theater group, these activities help students build confidence, develop leadership skills, and express their creativity. Moreover, engaging in extracurricular activities exposes students to a diverse range of individuals and fosters teamwork, cooperation, and mutual respect. Through collaboration and interaction with peers who share similar interests, students learn valuable life skills such as effective communication, problem-solving, and empathy.
Part 3: Academic Performance Contrary to the belief that extracurricular activities distract from academics, research suggests that participation in these activities can actually enhance academic performance. Engaging in extracurriculars teaches students time management, organization, and prioritization skills. By learning to balance their commitments, students develop a sense of responsibility and discipline, which positively impacts their academic pursuits. Furthermore, extracurricular activities can ignite a passion for learning, making education more enjoyable and meaningful. Students often find that the skills acquired in extracurricular activities, such as critical thinking, creativity, and teamwork, transfer to their academic work, enabling them to excel in their studies.
Part 4: Future Success
Participating in extracurricular activities can significantly contribute to a student’s future success. Colleges, universities, and employers often value candidates who have well-rounded profile that extends beyond academic achievements. Extracurricular involvement demonstrates a student’s motivation, dedication, and ability to manage multiple responsibilities effectively. It showcases their leadership potential, teamwork skills, and passion for personal growth. Additionally, extracurricular activities provide students with opportunities for mentorship, networking, and internships, which can open doors to future career prospects and provide practical experience in their chosen fields.
Extracurricular activities are a crucial component of a student’s educational journey, offering numerous benefits for their physical health, personal development, academic performance, and future success. Through these activities, students acquire valuable life skills, explore their interests, build relationships, and cultivate a sense of purpose. It is vital for educational institutions and parents to recognize the significance of extracurricular activities and provide ample support and resources to ensure that students have access to a diverse range of opportunities. By embracing extracurricular involvement, students can truly maximize their potential and lay a strong foundation for a well-rounded and fulfilling life.